Saturday, March 10, 2007

Welcome Media Ecology Bloggers!

(Updated below)

I've added two prominent Media Ecologists to my list of "other blog sites." Both Paul Levinson and Lance Strate are among the original founders of the Media Ecology Association and many-times published authors. Both are public intellectuals who champion the Media Ecological approach to media analysis and social commentary.

Paul's site, simply called "Paul Levinson the blog", is actually more of a portal, leading to other Paul Levinson blog sites, to descriptions of his Media Ecology and science fiction works and a comprehensive history of his career and multiple media-based productivity. Scholarly articles, books, podcasts, YouTube links of his television appearances and much more all are here. Of particular note, Paul is releasing his science fiction novel, The Silk Code in the form of podcasts, performed by Shaun Farrell. Also available is the first chapter of his latest novel The Plot to Save Socrates, performed by the author himself.

Lance Strate is new to blogging, and states in Lance Strate's Blog Time Passing that "The Unexamined Blog is Not Worth Blogging." Well, maybe. Lance comments that blogging may be the highest form of narcissism, and while I tend to agree, I wish I had said it first on my blog. Anyone who has read my blog regularly (Hi Mom!), knows already that I take my narcissism very seriously.

Lance's most recent writing (outside of blogging) is Echoes and Reflections: On Media Ecology As a Field of Inquiry. Using the echo as a metaphor for all media, but also as a window into the thought processes involved in autism, Lance lays deep foundations for the study of Media Ecology, and any regular readers of this site (Hi Mom!) would profit by a reading. If you don't have the time to read it at the moment, I recommend buying it anyway.

Update: By posting these comments I in no way oblige Paul or Lance to cross-link to this blog. No, not at all. Really.

No comments: